Update: this role has been filled as of April 19th.
Gone are the days when bottom-up SaaS companies were considered novel. Chances are, you’ve experienced them in one way or another. Maybe you’ve advocated for bringing Slack into your organization, expensed Grammarly, or paid for Zapier with a personal credit card.
Virtually every industry has a bottom-up leader that came in and quickly gained market share by delivering a superior product, removing barriers to usage, and growing virally within organizations.
OpenPhone is doing that to business phone.
Right now, all our growth is organic and our product is fully self-serve. While most customers are thrilled to be able to call & text on OpenPhone right away, many want to be able to learn how OpenPhone can solve their problems. That’s where you come in.
We want to supplement our organic growth with a sales-assisted motion. As our first sales hire, you’ll define this motion and establish the unique flavor of sales at OpenPhone.
Why you should be excited about this role
- We’re a team of 15 and you’re joining as the founding member of the sales team. You’ll have a significant impact on the business, our bottom-line, and our growth trajectory.
- We’ve got no sales playbook yet so you’ll have to create one. We don’t have a CRM implemented yet and you’ll help set one up. The personal growth opportunity is unmatched.
- You’ll help us bring a modern product to 33+ million small businesses in the US & Canada running on legacy phone solutions.
- We’ve got a strong land & expand motion (200%+ net revenue retention for teams on OpenPhone).
- We’re a tight-knit, passionate team and you’ll be working closely with everyone in the company. You’ll be able to influence not only sales but all areas of the business.
- We use our own product extensively and will ask for your feedback on the ways it can be more useful to sales professionals. You’ll naturally champion OpenPhone for Sales offering.
- We’ve been a remote company since pre-COVID and put a lot of effort into staying connected despite the distance. If you’re a fan of trivia, board games, and escape rooms, you’ll fit right in. 🙂
- We love sharing our journey and lessons learned with each other and our community so if that excites you too, it’ll be a great fit. (So far, they’ve been taking the form of posts like this and this).
- Our customers love OpenPhone and become avid champions.
Why this might not be a good fit
- We’re a very small team. While we’re well-funded, we don’t have all teams established yet (marketing, customer success) so if you’re used to working with folks in these functions, this won’t be fun initially. (We’re actively hiring though).
- We don’t have a CRM and a lot of sales tooling yet. This is an opportunity to determine what’s the best stack to build on.
- While we have amazing investors who are always happy to help, there’s not much mentorship we can offer internally yet. We’re looking for someone who can hit the ground running.
- We’re a very fast-moving team which means priorities and initiatives can change quickly. If you’re not used to fast-paced environments, this won’t be the right fit.
- We’re a high-volume business serving thousands of small businesses and startups. Our sales cycle is pretty short and you’ll be working on many opportunities at the same time. If you’re excited about closing large enterprise deals, let’s chat a little later.
You’re excited about being on the ground floor of the sales team and are looking forward to the challenges and opportunities that come with it.
You have experience working as an Account Executive at a company that has a similar go-to-market strategy (freemium / product-led).
You love high-velocity sales cycles and have no problem keeping yourself organized while working on many opportunities at the same time.
You’re highly analytical and find joy in setting up workflows and systems to increase efficiency.
You want to make a massive impact in the organization and lay the foundation for many more teammates to come.
How to apply
You can apply here. I look forward to hearing from you.
Want to learn more?
Join our weekly live demo. It’s a great way to see the product in action, meet some of us, and check out what we’re up to.